Monday, January 25, 2010

Why do I take ballet class?

I've been taking ballet class at Zenon dance school for a few years now, and am wondering if anyone else feels like their purpose in the class it to make the other students look good. I have heard that ballet accesses the part of the brain that does math, and maybe that is why it is so frustrating for me to learn, and so rewarding on the occasions when I finally do "get it." It's not that the teacher is mean -- quite the contrary, Becky Stanchfield has got to be the sweetest teacher you could ask for. But maybe I have a block against becoming adept at this kinesthetic skill. Does part of my brain has a low opinion of becoming good at dancing (it was all those years as a tomboy)? Or maybe it is harder for me to learn because I started this form of dance as an adult. Ironically, I think it has helped my coordination in every day life, and I think it also keeps my brain flexible in every day life (those math skills again). After leaving dance class, I feel like other aspects of life are a breeze. It is flattering getting occasionally asked if I am a dancer. However, it is costly, often frustrating (I don't understand many basic steps and have trouble remembering combinations), and inconvenient getting to classes. I'm interested in hearing from other adult ballet students. Why do you take ballet, is it easy to pick up, and is it benefiting you in secondary ways?

1 comment:

  1. I have studied under a lot of people since I started with Loyce Houlton in Dinkytown in the 60's and I still come to Becky Stanchfield's class, especially now, since she is going to retire soon and she is so good that I try to get to her class every time until August when she is gone....Becky is the kind of teacher who tells you what you most need to know....Otherwise, she just lets you do your work, over time.....And that's what it takes....We're so blessed to have lived long enough to still be working at it.....I have a knee injury, a bad, extreme sports type of one, and ballet is the BEST exercise for it....Doesn't take the place of weight resistance training and yoga but it adds something so powerful.....Probably Becky's attention to placement....My knee is so much improved by ballet class, I can't tell you, that alone, is why I drive from Wisconsin to arrive an hour early and stretch out to be ready to get the most out of class.....And I walk taller, just like the older folks used to say to little girls about going to ballet cuz it affects your carriage, it really does, even now!!!

    I'm telling you, as an older adult student, go to ballet class, no matter what it takes!!! TLL*****

    ReplyDelete