Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Deadbeat employers

Last year I was hired to do some editing on a rush basis by a well-known editor, Biodun Iginla. He is a BBC correspondent, so I thought he would be responsible to a fellow editor. He wanted me to do the editing on a weekend, a time I normally reserve for family life. However, he was asking me to do this as a friend, so I buckled down and delivered the edited chapter, working frantically on a Sunday morning while my kids watched videos in the next room. It has been nearly 10 months now and he has not paid me for the five hours of work I did. In that time he has made multiple trips abroad, and even came over to our house for dinner, but has not paid up. I have tried phone calls, e-mail reminders, and even sending Paypal invoices. It amounts to just over $100. To add salt to the wound, the last time I met with Biodun, he asked me to buy him cigarettes and French fries. Does anyone have any advice on how to get someone who is posing as a friend to pay up?

No comments:

Post a Comment