Saturday, January 16, 2010

Two deaths in two days

On Friday, I checked on poor Gus the Guinea pig and found him stiff, with his nose against the cage bars. Tacy sobbed when she found him; we gave him a memorial service later on that evening. Also on Friday, I made a visit to North Memorial Hospital, to visit my dying uncle Lyle. The family said he was expected to die any day, so I told him I love you and thank you for all the good memories, such as when he gave me away at my wedding. I admire my cousin, Paul, for maintaining a round-the-clock vigil at his bedside. That afternoon I took the kids out to Lyle after school. The girls just looked at Uncle Lyle, as I don't think they remembered him much, just as an old guy who smoked and had a hard time walking. However, Tiernan spent some time talking to him and holding his hand. Tiernan started crying at the bedside. After we left the hospital, I asked him what he thought, and he said that Lyle had been crying, moving his mouth and moving his hand up and down. I said that I thought Lyle's eyes had just been watering. Tiernan clearly felt like Lyle had been communicating with him through his tears and movements. I am proud of Tiernan for having the emotional sensitivity to pick up on that. Today my cousin, Gay, called me to let me know Lyle died at 4:00 p.m. RIP, Lyle. May you find peace in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment