Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Not Your Average Ordinary Workout: The Senior Olympics



An unexpected side benefit of attending the Ann Bancroft luncheon (see previous post) was that I ended up in the National Senior Olympic Games!

Standing in line next to me waiting to talk to Ms. Bancroft was an employee of the National Senior Games Association.  The fellow informed me that Minneapolis was hosting the Games in 2015, and that competitors must turn 50 by Dec. 31, 2014 to qualify.

I was unaware that such a thing as Senior Olympic Games even existed!  I used to run 5k and 10k races in my 20s, before giving birth to my first child at age 30, but gave that up due to overstretched ligaments that were causing pain during the high-impact exercise.  Five years later my second child arrived, and with her came added foot problems.  I was forced to (gasp!) begin wearing comfort shoes (how humiliating)!  I spent my 20s in three-inch heels.  But I digress...

Me running Grandma's Marathon at age 22

 In the ensuing 19 years, I've done "maintenance-level" exercise, such as spinning  classes and weight training, to stay toned and feel good, but have not competed in any races. 

But after a week or so, curiosity got the better of me and I Googled the website, http://www.nsga.com/.  I turn 50 this year on Dec. 6th, so I will definitely qualify.  The listings included some "old fogey" sports like bowling and horseshoes, and there were events that were out of my grasp, such as running races.  But then I spotted race walking and archery. 

"Could I?" I asked myself.  I was unsure as to whether I could withstand the training or learn the proper form, but my 12 years of distance running and dozens of races had to count for something.  I had even run a marathon!  Race walking would surely be lower impact and seemed within my grasp.

I had tried archery with my daughters at Girl Scout camp, but not other than that.  Unlike the discus throw, archery seemed to pose less of an injury threat.  Then there is the "Hunger Games" appeal and the way that movie has romanticized the female archer as lone hero.  Another appeal was that it is a practical skill.  If our society collapses into anarchy and we end up hiding out in the woods, the ability to shoot a rabbit for dinner would definitely be handy!



So one evening in May, after the rest of the family had gone to bed, I impulsively registered for the 5000 meter racewalk event and the compound bow archery event.  Total cost: $40.  The confirmation email arrived the next day, making it official.  Now I was committed, and my journey as an Olympian had begun!

My first job was to purchase a bow.  I found one on Ebay that turned out to be made for someone much stronger than me.  I could not even pull the bowstring!  No worries, the seller happily refunded my money once I returned the bow.  When purchasing my second bow, I was careful to pay attention to the "maximum draw weight," and got one rated for 25-35 pounds.

My next mission was to get the bow fitted for me and buy some arrows.  I took the bow to Average Joe's Archery in Coon Rapids, MN.  The staff there treated me very well, expertly assembling the pieces, fitting it to my strength and arm length, adjusting the sights, cutting arrows to the proper length, and even coaching me on shooting techniques.  I happened to visit during their "Customer Appreciation Days," so ended up getting free shooting practice on their range as well! 

Now I am in practice mode, refining my technique and aim, and learn how to score my "ends" (groups of arrows).  The Minneapolis park system has four free archery ranges that I have been regularly visiting.  I've enjoyed meeting other archers and learning all kinds of helpful tips from them, including their favorite archery shops and ranges. I consistently group my arrows at the nine-o'clock position, so I plan to head back to Average Joe's for another lesson on technique, and buy a few more arrows to replace the ones that mysteriously disappeared in the woods.

The racewalking practice has been a "long, winding journey" as well.  I found a book called "Racewalking Clinic," which has practice drills specific for the race walker.   I have also watched a few YouTube videos.
My technique has been inconsistent, as I don't believe I completely understand it.  I want to "get" the form one hundred percent before I start adding speed, but now that there is only one month before the race, I need to start adding speed!

Shooting pains under the toes have been cropping up during my fast-paced three-mile walks. Last week I made the mistake of going out for a race-walk without first warming up or stretching.  After a half-mile the foot pain was so great I had to hobble back home. My wonderful husband David (who happens to also be a massage therapist) informed me that a muscle underneath the calf, not the toes, are the source of the problem, and that I can prevent or reduce pain by massaging this muscle.  Check.

I also got in to see a podiatrist, who chided me for not warming up or stretching, and recommended that I add long compression athletic socks (I am really a fogey now!) as well as replace my "Smartfeet" shoe inserts and wear pads under the balls of the my feet.  Check.

Today I emailed the organizer of Twin Cities Race Walkers, and asked about their twice-monthly meetups in Como Park.  If I can meet even once with this group to learn their techniques, I believe it would be tremendously helpful. 

With one month left before the competitions, the pressure is mounting.  But I am excited to see how far I can go with my two new sporting endeavors!  So, dear readers, what have you done for your body lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment